Monday, June 11, 2012

Pink Hair!

I am beyond excited to share that I now have pink hair!

Don't freak out ... Mom :), it's only the tips, sort of like a pink ombre look and I absolutely love love LOVE the way it turned out!



I wouldn't have pegged myself as someone to put a funky color in my hair, but when it started becoming a trend earlier this year, the more I saw it, the more and more I fell in love with the idea. So, I did some research on temp colors, went to my stylist, who I trust & adore, and she kinda shot down the idea...bummer. She said it probably wasn't the best idea with blonde hair because it can bleed up quite a bit. I was bummed, but I didn't want to end up with a whole head of pink hair, so I listened.

Then, a few weeks ago on Pinterest, I saw The Beauty Department's post on a conditioner that you can use on blonde hair for temporary pink tips. Wahoo! I had to get it.

I used Davines Alchemic Red Conditioner. It looks hot pink the container, pretty cool.

First, I washed and conditioned my hair like normal.

Then, I got out of the shower and applied the Red Conditioner where I wanted the pink to be.
*Tip: You don't have to use gloves, just be sure to wash your hands well as soon as you're done. I just kept a towel on and did my best not to let it touch the towel or my skin & leaned over the sink while I waited (and looked on pinterest -ha!)

I left it on for about 10 minutes. You can leave it on for less time if you want a lighter color.  

Then, I hopped in the shower & it pretty much rinsed clear, not much color, which means it all stuck!

I blow dried and styled as normal. It's supposed to last about 3 washes, which is great if you want to just do it for a weekend or a special event.

please excuse the chipped nail polish:)

*Side note on my awesome, new iPhone case. I feel in love with this bird's nest look (yep, saw it on Gossip Girl), but didn't want the white, red or grey they sell in the apple store. Last week, I discovered you can buy tons of colors on Amazon for super cheap! I had to get hot pink, of course, but they have lots of other cool colors too. Check them out here!

What I am Wearing:
*Striped tank from Mossimo/Target
*Pink shorts by Lilly Pulitzer
*Essie (chipped) Nail Polish in Cute As A Button

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." ~ Henry James Thoreau

xx,
Jaime






5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh this is sooo cute! Did you order the color right from Pinterest? I love that it will come out so quickly and its soo easy! Ross wants me to have green hair for a few days heheh and since it doent look like it would ruin my color id love to be a rebel for a few days haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber! I ordered the color/conditioner from Amazon. I am not sure if you will be able to find a green like this conditioner only because this is made for to keep red hair bright, but also works to make blonde hair pink. You might be able to find a green temporary color though :) Good Luck! Post pics if you decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you happen to know if the Riveting Reds line from Sally's will work as well? It is cheaper and is also a color pigmented conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! First, thanks for reading! I have not tried the riveting reds line from Sally's, but from what I read, it's supposed to do pretty much the exact same thing as the Davines product I used. It's made to brighten red hair, but when used on blonde, it can be more of a pinkish tone. My suggestion would be to follow the same steps I used above, leave on for ten minutes or less and maybe start by doing a test on an underneath piece instead of all of your ends. If you like the way it turns out, you can do the rest and if you don't, Sally's is pretty good about returns so you don't feel like you wasted your money. I hope this helps! If you decide to try it, I would be interested to know how it turns out! Good luck!

    xx,
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jaime,
    I'm all the way in the Philippines! Same with you, I bought myself a jar after reading about it on the Beauty Department. I have experience with Manic Panic Dye and it would bleed whenever I sweat. How does the Davines dipped hair fair with sweat? Does it stain?

    Thanks,
    Rica

    ReplyDelete