Monday, May 14, 2012

Comfort Food: Biscuits & Gravy

 

Last week, my husband worked long, hard days, so on Saturday he was looking forward to sleeping in and relaxing. I was looking forward to joining him until my head promptly popped off my pillow at 7am wide awake & ready to take on the world! Haha - isn't that how it always works? Well, lucky for him, I remembered that earlier in the week, he mentioned he was craving biscuits & gravy. So, I went to work!

I made fresh biscuits using Heart Smart Bisquick and their recipe that is on the back (shown above):

What you need:
1 1/2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart mix
1/2    cup fat-free (skim) milk

~Preheat your oven to 450 F
~Stir ingredients until soft dough forms (I recommend cutting in some butter with a fork)
~Place dough on a surface well (WELL!) sprinkled with bisquick mix (I used a cutting board, also be sure to coat your hands with bisquick - I learned the hard way, hah!) & knead 10 times
~Roll dough 1/2 inch thick & cut with 2 1/2 cutter dipped in Bisquick mix (not as important to dip the cutter, especially if you have plastic biscuit cutters - I use these by Martha Stewart). Place on ungreased cookie sheet.


They recommend to bake for 7- 9 minutes, or until golden brown. I did 6 minutes (I think most baked items are better under-baked) and I will probably do 5 minutes next time around. This will leave them more moist in the middle.

It also says it makes 5, but I ended up with 7.


They turned out great and tasted delicious! He was pleasantly surprised! :) I would definitely recommend adding the butter, as I mentioned above (I didn't and we added some after)

I used frozen, pre-made gravy by Bob Evans, which was good, but next time I am going to make that as well! Of course I will share (let's just hope it's a success! ha!)

Happy Monday!

"Acquire less, make more and live a life of quality instead of quantity" ~unknown

xx,
Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment