Friday, June 15, 2012

DIY: Makeup Brush Holder

A few weeks ago, I came across this idea on Pinterest to clean out your old candle jars and reuse them. What a fabulous idea! Especially since I end up with so many after Bath & Body Works has their 2/$20 sales (btw... Semi-Annual Sale going on now, lots of candles for $10!). My only thing was that I already have tons of lovely apothecary jars for my bathroom storage of cotton balls, q-tips, etc. Then it dawned on me, it would be a perfect brush holder! I have been searching for one, but didn't want to pay too much. What a great way to use an item I have already purchased!

So, I placed the candle, with little wax remaining, in the freezer for a few hours:


After removing it from the freezer, I tried to pry the candle away from the glass with a dull knife, like the original instructions said. Not sure if it's just me, but this wasn't working and I didn't want to break the knife. So, I decided to place it upside down under the faucet and let hot, hot water run on it. Turns out, that was a great idea! I could hear the candle cracking after about a minute. After about five minutes, I took it out from under the hot water (be careful, the glass gets really hot too). It was so much easier to get the wax out, took about 2 minutes:

before & after hot water, big difference!

The hot water also made it really easy to roll off the sticker on the bottom too. Then, peel off the label on the front, clean up the glass with soap and water & dry it:


Add a fine/small vase filler until the jar is about half full. I used crushed seashells I got from Joanne's but you can also use small beads, pearls, anything that will move easily for the brushes to go in, but won't stick to the handles.


Place in your brushes & Voila! You've got a DIY Brush Holder!



**Update on the Davines Red Alchemic Conditioner to add the pink to the ends of your hair. I loved the color and it didn't come off on anything. After one wash, it was a pretty cotton candy pink and after the second wash it was pretty much completely out. So, it is super temporary for those of you looking for weekend fun!

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'm Possible" ~ Audrey Hepburn

By the way, it's National Flip Flop Day! So, kick off your shoes, throw on some Flip Flops and have a  Fabulous Friday the 13th! 

xx,
Jaime




No comments:

Post a Comment