Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How To: Sock Bun

I recently wanted to learn how to do a sock bun for two reasons. One being that it's a super cute & easy way to keep your hair up off your shoulders for summer... not to mention the beautiful curls once you take it down, and secondly because you can wear it a little more polished for work (and hide your pink tips! hehe).

Here's what you do! It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it... just takes a little practice. I've also heard it works for almost any hair length as long as you can put it in a ponytail. My hair is pretty long, as you can see here.

What you will need:

*Sock with tube/ankle portion

*Scissors
*Hair tie
*Bobby Pins
*Hair Spray

Steps:

1) Cut off the tube/ankle portion of the sock

It will look like this:

*Sorry I couldn't take pictures of these next steps, I didn't have anyone to take them and needed both hands, I hope my descriptions make sense!

2) Put your hair in a ponytail wherever you would like the bun to sit and secure with hair tie. I put mine kind of at the crown of my head, so you can see it when you look at me. You can also add a little volume on top by loosening the hair on the top of your head gently with a comb pick (I used a skewer because I don't have one of these - hah!)

3) Now, pull your ponytail upwards and slide the tube part of the sock (you cut off) over/around your ponytail. Start at the tip of your ponytail and roll your ends over the tube and tuck in the bottom. Continue to roll your hair down until you have rolled it all down and it looks like a bun/donut. It may get it a little messy, but that's okay, you can fix and tuck with bobby pins. If you have layers, like me, you may want to slightly hairspray or put pomade in your ponytail so your layers won't fall as easily.

4) Use bobby pins to secure any loose hairs and pin down your bun, if needed. My bun seemed like it would day without pins, but since I didn't want to worry about it, I added a few. If you are going for more of a casual look, you may want to loosen up the bun some and pull out hairs to frame your face. 

5) Lightly spray all over with hair spray and Voila! Perfect & Easy Sock Bun!

Left to Right: Front, Right Side, Left Side, Back

Notice you can't see hardly any pink :)

I hope this was helpful! Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to help you out. Also, if you need a sock and live near me, I can give you one as I had to buy 3 pairs to do this... haha. I got mine at Target for $5.

"Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics."  ~ Albert Einstein

xx,
Jaime




No comments:

Post a Comment